Harry A. Readshaw Sr. holding horse on Carson Street
In 1912 Harry A. Readshaw, Sr. started his first mortuary located at 1914 Carson Street on the South Side. Harry Sr. was born in 1884 in England. He first immigrated to Canada then moved to Sharon, PA before settling in Pittsburgh. He received his undertaker's license in 1912 from the State Board of Undertakers. In the early 1900’s it was traditional to be embalmed and laid out in your own home. Funeral homes as we know them today did not come into being until the Second World War. During the flu epidemic it was not uncommon to have 10-20 funerals per day. Times were very difficult for people, so families often had to offer chickens or other goods in lieu of money for payment of funerals. During World War II there were no metal caskets because all of the steel produced went towards the war effort.
In 1935 Harry moved the business to 1503 Brownsville Road in Carrick, which is still the present location of the business today.
Harry A. Readshaw Jr., Harry A. Readshaw III, and Ernest J. Readshaw
Harry Sr. had two sons, Ernest J. Readshaw and Harry A. Readshaw, Jr. They were licensed in 1937 and 1942. After the death of Harry Sr. in 1961, Ernest and Harry Jr. formed a partnership in 1962. In 1964 Harry A. Readshaw III received his license and became the third generation in the funeral business. In 1979 a corporation was formed, with Harry A. Readshaw Jr. as President, Ernest J. Readshaw Vice President and Harry A. Readshaw III Secretary/Treasurer.
In 1981 the death of Ernest J. Readshaw occurred and Harry A. Readshaw Jr. and his son Harry A. Readshaw III carried on the tradition that was started almost a century ago.
In April of 2000 Harry A. Readshaw Jr. died, leaving Harry A. Readshaw III to carry on the business.
Harry A. Readshaw Sr.
Ernest J. Readshaw
1912 - 1981
Harry A. Readshaw Jr.
1915 - 2000
Harry A. Readshaw III